Friday, September 10, 2010

5 & 6: Biblical Patterns for the Wife & Husband (T.T.A.T.F.)

Discussion Board This Week

We have covered a lot of ground in the last 2 weeks. I've asked the Young Adults about trying a Discussion Board versus a Blog, and the response has been Discussion Board!

Chapters 5 & 6 Starters
  1. The idea is simple . . . post something
  2. Remember, you can post it anonymously if you want
  3. Maybe type a good quote (like below), leave the pg #, & explain why you like it
  4. Or share a thought from our Sunday Morning discussions the last couple weeks
  5. Or post a reaction to it all
  6. Or if you aren't joining us on Sunday Mornings, read the posts & share a thought
  7. Or share a random free association or something lol
Chime In!

If a quote or thought from class doesn't stand out to you, try reacting to these two:

Proverbs 31:10 Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies.
"The term 'virtuous' in Proverbs 31:10 comes from a root meaning of strength. Figuratively speaking, it is the idea of noble character and strength. It speaks of the preciousness and rarity of such a noble woman. In the last part of the verse she is described as being more valuable than rubies. Next to the husband’s relationship to Jesus Christ, there is nothing more valuable in his life than his wife." (60-61)

"The husband as priest of the home must take the initiative spiritually. He is responsible for whether the family is faithful to church . . . for whether there are family devotions or not . . . His wife and children are the first to see Christ in him . . . he regularly comes into the presence of the Lord on behalf of his wife and children. His wife and children will experience the spiritual strength of his priesthood." (79)










Adapted from Vernell Ingle. (2005). The truth about the family: Biblical patterns and principles. Joplin, MO: Messenger Publishing House.
  • T.T.A.T.F. is available for half-price (courtesy of F.P.C.) to all who meet with us Sunday mornings
  • Online orders available at M.P.H. for The Truth About the Family

5 comments:

  1. When Casey and I first got married it was difficult and still is bc we are both use to living with our parents and having someone else take care of us. So we were costantly bickering over who did or didn't do their duties for the house, and one night it went a step farther and I expressed to him how I felt we weren't close like we were and I didn't feel his love like I use to. I know and knew he loved me then but it was hard to see sometimes. So he went to kitchen and I went to the room. I didn't know what he was doing but I was laying in bed crying and begging God to fix us. I couldn't understand why all of a sudden I felt this way about Casey. Then God started showing me things I needed to fix and to quit thinking about what Casey needed to fix. So I prayed about it and fixed with God what needed to be fixed and asked him to help me with my duties in my relationship with Casey so we could be closer. Once I was done praying Casey came back in and he told me with tears in his eyes that he was sorry, and that he too had went in and prayed to fix what was wrong. He told me some things that had been bothering him about himself that I didn't know about. Then he told me " I'm sorry I haven't been the spiritual leader of this house like I should be, but from now on I will be. " Of course we still have spats from time to time however I don't feel distant from him now and I know God is in the mist of all our situations bc we both invited him in. And the best part is that this happened before we discussed men be the spiritual leader of the household. So I guess God wanted us to know a little earlier. - Trista

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Trista for being so transparent about you and Casey. The film Shadowlands recaptures the story of C.S. Lewis. His wife has cancer that goes into remission. An Oxford professor and minister congratulates him and says that God is answering Lewis’ prayers. In a situation where you would really want your spouse to change, Lewis responds, “That’s not why I pray Harry. I pray because I can’t help myself. I pray because I’m helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time, waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God; it changes me.”

    ReplyDelete
  3. Next to the husband’s relationship to Jesus Christ, there is nothing more valuable in his life than his wife." (60-61) - I think this is a beautiful thought. Life is full of relationships, responsibilites, and all kinds of "stuff".. but aside from our relationship with Christ, NOTHING is more important than our spouse. I think we should continually remind ourselves of this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not married, but I have been beating myself up recently because I haven't been a spiritual leader in the relationships that I have had. The verse that about the husbands being the spiritual leaders made me feel a little better because it made me feel like maybe it shouldn't have been my responsibility to speak up. I do still feel as if I should have spoken up about what was going on in my heart and mind spiritually for the last month or so that I was dating my most recent boyfriend, but I kept being stubborn and God had to punish me for it. And who knows if he will ever find out what I was going through. It is all in His plan though and I do not know what the future holds. I just pray that no matter what happens that this will force both of our relationships with Christ to grow into what they should be- 100% focused on Him. Just keep me in your prayers.. it is still tough at times. I'm just trying to be patient and know that His plan will happen in His timing... not my plan in my timing. I really liked Pastor Rayburn’s message this morning though from Jer 33:3.. it has been one of my favorite verses recently. I just cannot wait to find out what His plans for me are!! I know that no matter what happens, or who I end up with, that Christ has to be in the center of our relationship and #1 in each of our lives… I have to stop putting what I want first and trying to take my situations into my own hands and give it to Him.

    P.S. If any of you haven’t heard Lead Me by Sanctus Real, you should check it out!

    And Jared, that is a really awesome quote from C.S. Lewis!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Anonymous 1 for drawing our attention back to the overwhelming value of the gift of our spouses.

    Anonymous 2 - thank you for sharing so much. Just a thought to help take the pressure off. As long as you are not married, you do not have to look to a man to fill that role as the spiritual leader. You might even respect someone for his spirituality, but you do not have to look to him as the leader. Until you are married, just enjoy what God has for you. If you have opportunity to talk about God with the one you're dating, then count yourself blessed. Relationships are often tough to get through, and tougher to get over. We hope and pray you'll enjoy these times, and continue to gain God's wisdom.

    ReplyDelete